10 Nov Day Trips – One sport & one wellness activity in cool and interesting natural areas and destinations in Maine
One day trips with Venture Outside typically involve single activity trips to interesting Natural Areas and Destinations, and will always involve a “journey” to get there. They typically also will include at least one activity of holistic well-being, such as yoga, meditation in nature, and natural history lessons.
- Fall Biking Excursion – Bike along routes that highlight Maine’s stunning fall foliage. We’ll also stop to notice fall wildflowers, and if lucky, watch for migrating hawks.
- Fall Canoe Paddle – Fall is a great time of year to be on the water. Water temperature is still relatively warm, and water levels are back above summer lows. Paddling along shorelines is a great way to see migrating songbirds, take in the colors of fall foliage around you and reflecting on the water, and to exercise the paddling muscles one more time before winter.
- Spring Adventure Birding – A mini-Bird-a-thon completely minus the fossil fuel cars to drive you around. We’ll peddle, paddle, and hike in various places, keeping track of what we see and where we see it. Our binoculars will be in our hands during most breaks!
- Spring Wildflower Hike – Spring is an amazing time to take in the blooming of wildflowers, in particular at higher elevation in some of the “alpine gardens.” This Day trip will feature a hike to several reknowned places to take in early spring wildflowers.
- Hiking For Edible Plants – The woods and fields of Maine are filled with edible plants, at any time of the year. The menu is always changing as plants grow from shoots to maturity, and as different plants peak at different times. We’ll identify and learn about the uses of the different plants, all while getting in some excellent exercise on a hike in special places along the coast and inland.
- Hiking, Biking, and Geology – Maine is the land of pink granite, basalt dykes, and quartz veins, and the action of the ocean has made sure that much of it is on full display. We’ll take this geology in as we hike or bike along routes that maximize exposure.
- Winter XC (Nordic) Ski – Maine has miles and miles of both backcountry and groomed trails. Cross country skiing provides a fantastic opportunity to combine a fun physical activity with learning opportunities, like wildlife tracks, winter ecology, and snow shelter building.
Check our calendar to see what Day Trips are scheduled, or contact us by calling 207-749-0501 or via the form below to schedule a custom day trip for your group of 4 or more.
Send us a message. Ask us a question.